Monday, January 2, 2012

The Power of Habit

I am reading The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg - not at all my usual type of book.  The subtitle is Why We Do What We Do and How to Change It.  Isn't that a perfect book for the beginning of the year?



Since this is neither fiction, nor written for younger folk, it is taking me a little bit longer to read this book.  So far, it is fascinating.  I try not to read too much in one sitting because Duhigg gives his audience a lot of information.  Scientific research is sandwiched between case studies.  The stories of neurologically damaged people, people who have successfully overcome destructive habits - even a football coach that leads a failing team to victory - underscore the research that is ably and accessibly explained. 

The book is due out in March of this year.  By then, I will have used the information in here to overcome MY destructive habits and become a whole new ME!  (Smile!)  Sigh, that might not happen.  But already I am more aware of the way habit controls a lot of what I do.

While reading this book I realized something.  I resist routine.  I guess I am a contrary person.  This book explains that routine - of the right sort - could simplify my life.  But I fight routine.  I wonder why.  Hmmmm...  I will go off now and do some self-examination.  I'll be back tomorrow for KWBT.

In the meantime, put Charles Duhigg's book The Power of Habit on your list of must-reads for 2012. 

No comments:

Post a Comment