Sunday, June 7, 2020

Sunday Selfie - What I Believe, Stuff I Learned

Things I believe:
I believe Black Lives Matter.

I believe families should stay together.

I believe in social distancing and mask wearing as a community attempt to slow and stop the spread of COVID-19.

I believe that Native Americans have the right and responsibility to protect their sacred lands.

I believe that the Earth is our Home and should be kept clean.

I believe that our National Parks MUST be protected.

I believe in a whole lot more (universal health care, voting rights for all, we are all one family,  dandelions are not weeds), some serious, some not.

And I believe in YOU!
Thanks, Pixabay.


It’s been a time, hasn’t it?  Are you keeping a journal? Do you write down the events as they happen? Do you make note of the realizations you have had, the joys you rediscovered, the small happinesses of your days? YOU could be the Samuel Pepys of 2020.  Those entries will create the stories of your future.

Almost daily, some municipality in our area hosts a rally to support Black Lives Matter. It gives me hope that people will eventually start treating others as members of the same community.

Our county has moved to “yellow” - stores and restaurants are re-opening with social distance requirements and mask requirements.  Yesterday, I went to a store!! And bought crafting supplies…of course.

While I ease into finding my new normal, I wonder what I have learned.

I have options that a lot of people don’t have. I learned that. Things as simple as a choice in what I eat for breakfast can fill me with gratitude and awareness.

When I walk around my neighborhood, there is beauty everywhere I look. People grow kaleidoscopes of flowers in their yards. Rabbits are everywhere! Small things can bring joy. I learned to look for them.

I learned that I have enough! Enough food, clothes, room. Stores will see less of me, I think.

I like my own company. It’s nice to learn that I like myself, even while I stew over my shortcomings.

I learned that change takes way, way too much time. We just have to keep working, trying, picking ourselves up and marching forward. Our goal is to always “spiral upwards” towards joy, towards love, towards a unity that makes room for everyone.

Stay safe, everyone. Keep striving for peace, hope and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment