Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Best volunteers, Little Free Libraries

Thanks to my daily dose of Shelf Awareness, I learned of the most lovable project to increase communities' access to books, Little Free Libraries.  These are small dropboxes that hold up to a dozen books.  They are designed to be attractive works of art in themselves and normal people, like you and me, are encouraged to build them, get permission to install them in public places and keep them stocked with books.  The suggestion is that anyone can take and/or add a book.  Look at the picture.  Isn't that little box inviting?

They won't take the place of public libraries but they sure look like a lot of fun.  Maybe, just maybe, public libraries could install a few of them as public services to the farthest reaches of their service areas.  Just a thought.

Well, I just finished the second day of the Storytelling Workshop that I am running for the Parkland Community Library.  I must give a HUGE shout-out to the volunteers who keep an eye on the kids as I run around "dealing" with popcorn shortages and finding where I put things - sigh.  Big thanks go to Robin R., Jeannie Kuttruff, Caroline Harakal, Emily Stein, Kelly Fitzpatrick, Erik N. and Katie M.  (People under 18 don't get their last names in, just in case.)  Raj S. was a big help yesterday and I hope to see him during the rest of the week.

I am always impressed when young people are more level-headed and organized than I am.  (Hmmm, that doesn't really seem to be a huge challenge, though.) So I truly have appreciated Katie M. who has made sure all the children are signed in and out and Emily Stein who is excellent at getting things cleaned up and sorted.  Caroline and Jeannie are my craft mavens.  Robin has an endless supply of games to keep the kids moving.  Erik and Kelly, my longest running Teen Tellers right now, keep the kids engaged, amused and charged up!

When working with this many children - only 17 this year - having three volunteers on hand at any time is a plus.  I doubt the workshop would run as smoothly - or at all - without them.

Stay tuned.  Erik took some video footage today.  I will post the videos and some photos when I have time.


No comments:

Post a Comment