Thursday, August 18, 2011

All These Things I've Done

I finished All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin.  I was not disappointed at all and, although this book could be a stand alone, there are questions that crop up that could foreshadow another book, or maybe two.  For instance, just what did Mouse do to get 1000 days confinement in juvenile detention?

When I read a book that I hope others will want to read, I don't want to give too much information about the plot.  This book is sort of "The Godfather Lite" in subject matter.  I mean, really, the controlled substance is chocolate.   The plot is a teensy bit similar to Gordan Korman's Son of the Mob, but Zevin's book is not nearly as slapstick as Korman's work.  There are clever, smart ass remarks and funny moments in All These Things I've Done.  While both books address the complications of being a member of a crime family by birth and not by choice, Zevin goes into the decisions and their consequences more deeply.   Of course, Anya is an orphan and her guardian is dying - that tends to sober the whole mood, right there.

ENOUGH!!!  Read the book when you get the chance.  It comes out on September 6th so go to your library of choice.  Corner the YS librarian and tell him or her to ORDER this book.  Then put a hold on it.  More holds, more copies!!  That's the way it works in most public libraries.  Suspense, romance, crimes, injustice, - all of that and more wait for you in All These Things I've Done.



No comments:

Post a Comment