Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I just finished reading Cell.

Once again another cheerful and upbeat tale from Stephen King.

:::pauses:::

Uh huh. Not quite.

Tons of people dead within the first ten pages, ahhh, now that's the Stephen King I know and love.

This time the terror does not come from a virus, a killer clown, aliens or even a werewolf. No the end of the world begins with the ringing of a cell phone.
The story is told from the point of view of Clay, an artist, who has just signed a deal for his first comic book. As he stops to get a celebratory ice cream cone, the people around him start going crazy and killing everyone around them. Clay saves the life of Tom and the adventure begins. Along the way they pick up Alice, and begin to understand it was the cell phones that drove people crazy. Clay's only interest is to find his son, who he left with his ex wife. Tom and Alice go with him on this journey. They pick up a few more people while still learning more about the "phone crazies".

Like all Stephen King novels, this one had me glued to my seat, and late back from lunch at work. I love the way he writes; there is just something about his style that draws me into the stories. He writes in a way that makes my imagination so clear that I see the characters in my mind and feel the characters pains and emotions. Of course after reading Cell, I am glad I'm not familiar with the song "Baby Elephant Walk". I developed a strong dislike for the song "Sympathy for the Devil" after reading Dreamcatcher, and to this day can't hear the song without thinking of the book.

All in all, this is not my favorite Stephen Kings novel, but it's very good.

Of course, I wonder if I'll ever look at my cell phone the same way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment