Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Spring! Question of the day!

 Today we left our jackets at home and ventured out in our shirt sleeves! Spring doesn't arrive until Sunday morning but it beckoned to us with clear skies and balmy temperatures. The snow that fell on Saturday is G-O-N-E - GONE! 

So today's Question of the Day - or evening - is... what sight, sound or activity tells you that Spring has come?

Youngsters look forward to Spring sports - baseball, tennis, soccer - and games - pick up games of basketball, kickball, stickball, kick-the-can, capture the flag.

Gardeners look forward to snowdrops and crocuses and a chance to get out there and DIG!

Bird watchers look for migrating birds to return and nesting activity to begin. 

Last night, I am POSITIVE that someone in our neighborhood was out back grilling supper!

When I was a kid, duck eggs were an early sign of Spring.


 

My father walked to Mass most mornings in Lent and he walked home before we headed off to school.

One Spring, my brother and I took Dad's piety as a challenge so many mornings we walked with him - in to church, home again - and THEN - we walked with the younger kids back to school, which was right next to church.

At that time, the creek by our house was crowded with domesticated ducks. And those ducks laid their eggs just about anywhere. On the way home from church, my Dad urged us to find as many duck eggs as we could. Seriously.

The younger kids heard about this, and one day, as we walked home from school, my younger brother spied a duck egg in the creek. Splash! School shoes and uniform pants on, he jumped into the creek and came out holding a clean white egg.  He was so proud of himself.

Dad told us that eggs in the creek were off limits after that. His obsession for duck eggs only lasted that one Spring. My brothers and sisters still talk about duck eggs in our cakes and casseroles.

Spring is here - or soon to be. Birds will nest and lay eggs in hidden places. I will look in the grass and under the bushes as I walk by the creek looking in vain... for duck eggs.

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I notice when the sun rises earlier. Of course, I always see the change in the garden and watch the birds. Wishing you a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duck eggs! Just saw some for sale at the health food store! Spring springs to mind for me when the hawks are more active and I wonder where they are building their nests. Seeing spring bulb shoots confirms that spring is on its way!

    ReplyDelete