Friday, March 18, 2022

Enthusiasm - Question of the Day?

 The license plate read ELMO! and hanging from the antenna was a little red muppet's face. It made me smile. I thought of how we all have enthusiasms - favorites - throughout our lives.

A friend's email address used to contain the letters "grdnr". Gee, I wonder what her enthusiam was.

My email address begins with the word "book."  Want to guess what one of my enthusiasms is?

Here are some things that catch my eye no matter when or where I see them. 

-Peeps - the JustBorn kind. I don't think they are very tasty but I love their plump shapes.

-Clouds - I get a little crazy about clouds. I have to keep my eyes down some days.

-Sparkly things - I am part crow, I guess. If I see a sparkly thing on a walk, I must stop and pick it up.

-Books - well, duh! and talking about books here are some more enthusiasms - or favorites.

-Seymour - the character in the Walter Wick books. I made a little Seymour character for us to play with one year.

-Elephant and Piggie - I know I am not alone in gravitating towards these characters in  Mo Willems' fabulous series.

-Winnie the Pooh and Eeyore and Piglet, et al. - The Ernest Shepard version. I am warming to Disney's bowdlerization of Milne's characters but, oh, I love the original Hundred Acre Woods.



So here is your question of the day. Do you have an enthusiasm, a favorite, a character or activity that you love?

Did you have one when you were younger? (Okay, two questions. You can handle it.)

In my teens, I collected little plaster elephants. I carried them in my purse to school and to work. No bigger than walnuts, they came in different colors. I had to have one of each. I have not thought of them in years. Then, I saw a car that announced that a grown-up still loved a little red muppet and I realized how much joy we can get from small enthusiasms.


3 comments:

  1. I'm trying to figure out your plaster elephants! I'm just curious. I'm not sure I collected anything when I was young because I wanted to when I was a kid--but there was a doll collection that was supposed to be mine and housed in boxes in the closet (couldn't be played with).
    I love a lot of characters! Right now I'm thinking of doing a book featuring Miffy. Do you know this? I don't have a book, I just like the illustrations. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What happened to all those dolls? I remember Miffy? I think the illustrator was Dick Bruna. Yep! Here she is!https://www.miffy.com/miffy-bunny

      Delete
  2. When in high school, I had a small collection of owl figures given to me. My friends started calling me "Who" because I asked a LOT of questions all the time (and still do ;) I was enthusiastic to have my own special nick name and laughed whenever anyone called me "Who!" Now I have to say one of my favorite enthusiasms is getting engrossed in a good novel, second only to being outside and observing, interacting with nature!

    ReplyDelete