Saturday, March 12, 2022

Routine - Question of the Day

The question today is: Do you have a morning routine?

Today, I spoke with my brother who lives in Japan. During the pandemic, he started following a morning routine of self-care. I have noticed that he has become proactive about the pressures in his life. I wonder how much that morning routine has contributed to his improved mood.

I have another friend who has developed a morning routine. His health has improved and he feels more productive and less anxious.

Do you do something every morning - or most mornings - that helps you start your day?

I started my own morning routine. It gets interrupted by obligations but I try to finish each of the components as early in the day as possible. I have found that the routine improves my mood. (I HATE getting out of my comfy bed many mornings.) It gives me a feeling of control - a feeling that is missing in our lives these days. My routine also makes me feel cared for and valued. And everyone needs to feel valued.

Here is my morning routine:

Sun salutation - yoga; followed by tai chi. This usually takes 30 to 40 minutes.

Make my bed! After years of not taking the time to make my bed, I have become a crusader for this simple chore.  Call me crazy but I do like a neatly made bed.

Journal - I sit in the sun or in a sunny window. This journal is NOT about things I did or have to do or worries or gripes.  My morning journal is about what I see and hear and smell and feel. If an insight comes from observing, I write about that. If a question arises, I consider it.  I celebrate life and living, trains and crickets, birds and rabbits, squirrels, passers-by, barking dogs and snow, rain and wind. I chronicle trees and mist, shadows and clouds. It's awesome!

I'd love to hear about your morning routine.



1 comment:

  1. Great post. Yes we have morning routines but the most therapeutic is the walk in the park with the dog every morning. We like to check out the birds there!

    ReplyDelete