Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Question of the day - Onion Snow

 The snow today reminded me of all the snows that we have lived through in March. Snow around the middle of March is sometimes called onion snow. It will take a better gardener than I to explain why.

Some gardeners want their peas planted by St. Patrick's Day, too. That's way too early for me.

The question of the day is:

What is your favorite snow memory?

I have a lot of favorite snow memories. When I was around 11, it snowed so heavily on Christmas Eve, that the Bishop announced that Catholics did not have to go to Mass that day. We went anyway! We walked up the hill from our house  (about half a mile) and a bakery truck picked us up and drove us the rest of the way to church (another half a mile at least). My Mom stayed home with the youngest children and Dad walked with us to Church. What an adventure! We have a picture of my four-year-old brother standing against a four foot snowdrift.

Thanks for sharing your memories!

1 comment:

  1. Great question! Blizzard of '77, listening to the newscaster saying, "There's no end in sight" so that night I dreamed the snow rose halfway up my second story window. My mom and I baked 2, count 'em 2 batches of her peanut butter cookies and we each gained 5 pounds over the course of 4 days of not being able to leave the house. My little brother helped eat some but he mostly went outside to play in the snow!

    ReplyDelete