Monday, March 28, 2022

Making Stuff. Question of the day

When I get moody, I make stuff - muffins, slippers, origami frogs. My hands are busy. My brain is engaged and the moodiness turns from blue to bright - or brighter, at least.

 I have always looked at things and wondered. "How could I use this to make something new?"

One Easter, (I was about 8 years old) I gathered cones from one of our evergreens. It was Spring so the cones were long and tight. I decided that I could use them to make bunny figures. So I taped them together with cellophane tape- a long one for the body, wrapped in white copybook paper, and shorter cones for the legs. Then I taped on paper ears. I cringe to think of them now because they were not pretty at all. BUT I liked them.

I set them out in the living room, hoping that the Easter Bunny might take them away and share them with other children.  

They were still in the living room when I woke up on Easter morning. 

Nope! This bunny did not want my pine cone rabbits.

 

My parents just told me that the Easter Bunny probably had too much stuff to hand out already. My Dad was not very kind about it. I think he suggested that I toss my pine cone bunnies in the trash. Ouch.

I was not as crushed as I thought I would be. Even at that young age, I knew the difference between a fun idea and a successful follow-through of that same idea. My idea may have been fun but I failed in its execution.  

Sometimes, just making something is its own reward. We don't always need praise. We don't even need success. Nothing is wasted if it teaches us something or cheers us up.

So Question of the day: Have you ever made something that did not work out as planned? 

I made these bracelets. They worked out, I think.


 


2 comments:

  1. When I was ten and desperately wanted to know how to do stuff, I made a rag doll out of an old pillow case. I begged my dad to take me to Woolworth's wear I got red yarn for hair, embroidery floss for the face, and something to make a dress. I traced an outline on the pillowcase and once she was together she was a sight - too skinny neck legs and arms, her head kept flopping forward and she resembled a pancake gone awry. Wish I'd have kept her as she'd probably be considered folk art now! I built her an equally skewed bed out of kindling wood. At least I got the rectangle right when I made a mattress out of leftover pillowcase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this so much. I wish you still had her, too.

    ReplyDelete