Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Scorpio Races

Surf and hooves!  It's my new exclamation.  Maggie Stiefvaters' The Scorpio Races deserves an exclamation all its own.  Teeth and Manes!  Could be another one, actually.  I like them both.

Imagine an island in the Northern Sea (I think).  This island loves its horses, the land-based ones we all know, and the water horses from the sea.  The flesh-eating wild water horses driven to land every Fall where they hunt anything with blood in its veins.

The Scorpio races bring tourists and money - and death - to the people on this island of Skarmouth.  The races have a history longer than memory.  Sean Kendrick has won four out of the last six races on the water horse he calls Corr.  Corr is as red as his father's mount was the year his father died in the races.

Puck Connelly and her brothers lost both their parents to the sea and to the water horses.  Now, her older brother is abandoning the family to go to the mainland.   Puck decides to win the Scorpio Races, on her own horse, or on a water horse, if she can find one, in an attempt to keep her family together.

There is the set-up, gentle readers.  And oh my, excuse the pun, but this book is a wild, wild ride! 

And I want to learn to ride a horse!!  Yes!  I want to race the wind on a horse that I love, on a horse that loves me.

And I want to be brave and alive, the way Sean and Puck are brave and alive.  But, if I can't be, then I am so happy that Maggie Stiefvater has written this book so I can imagine that braveness and alive-ness running in my sluggish veins.

No comments:

Post a Comment