Saturday, July 9, 2011

Back to work

I am back to work for a few weeks.  I am the lowest person on the Youth Services totem pole, after 22 years of being the Book Queen for Kids and Teens.   Preparing to take programs into the schools this summer has been harrowing, as if after 3 months off, I had forgotten everything I ever learned.  For the past five years, my then assistant planned almost all of our storytimes so maybe my trepidation is understandable.  Or maybe, I just like to fuss.

It's fun to be back.  I have an excuse to visit with my old co-workers/friends and talk to parents and kids I've known for years.  And I catch up with the volunteers who fight chaos and maintain order. 

Here are highlights of this first week.

While I was sorting through all the stuff I need to take to the schools, a girl of about 8 years old got the chance to choose her reading prize from the prize locker.  "Whoa", I heard her say under her breath as she gazed on the small toys, candy and gadgets,  "I could get used to this!"

Two days later, I sat in the Picture Book section, talking to Jean, a volunteer who spends her time making sure the picture books are in order.  First I was attacked by another girl, about the same age, who needed one of those "Mr. Klutz Is Nuts" or "Miss Daisy Is Crazy" books.  I still remembered who that author is!  (Dan Gutman! a fun and prolific author for young chapter book readers and beyond.)  After helping her, I returned to my chair and James, a most amazing reader, came up to me.

"Um, my boomerang is caught in a tree," he announced.  After a few questions, I decided to go see this boomerang.  He was concerned because it was right above a bird's nest.  He was worried about disturbing the birds.

Yep, there it was, too high for me to reach.  "I'll get a broom handle and knock it down," I told him.  So we marched back into the library and I asked permission to borrow a broom.  I chose a long handled duster thingy.  Then off we went again to the lawn to knock the thin white boomerang out of the crab apple tree.

James' older sister, Eugenia, this year's co-valedictorian, found us out there and witnessed the falling of the boomerang.  She plans on going to Cornell to study cognitive science.  Smart girl!

But the best thing of all is watching my excellent replacement, Miss Hannah, answer multiple calls and field questions and jump up from her desk and come back and order teen volunteers about and....I don't have to do all that anymore.  Sigh of relief.  I just mark down the attendance for the morning's programs, make sure I have what I need for the next program, chat with a friend, wave gaily and step into the sunshine.  I LIKE not being in charge.


No comments:

Post a Comment