Thursday, August 6, 2020

Weird Titles that I Have Read

Some books just pop up in my brain and ask, "Do you remember me?"

Some titles do, too.

What We Found in the Sofa and How it Saved the World by Henry Clark.    So there's a rare zucchini crayon in that sofa and a two headed coin. That's all I remember. But the title is emblazoned on my brain.

How I Stole Johnny Depp's Alien Girlfriend by Gary Ghislain.   He's 14 and he thinks she's just another one of his father's psychotherapy patients. But she is NOT. She's an alien and she MUST mate with the most perfect male on our planet, Johnny Depp.  Incredible - as in completely unbelievable - feats of derring-do and physics defying action ensue.  But, once again, if you can't judge a book by its cover, you can certainly get hooked by its title.

Unusual Chickens for the Extraordinary Poultry Farmer Kelly Jones.    I just updated my rating on Goodreads to 4 stars because I actually went back and re-read this book, it's that much fun. Sophie and her parents inherit her great-uncle's farm and Sophie starts getting weird hand typed letters about chickens. One of the chickens is only visible in certain lights. Another chicken has the talons of a hawk.  Chickens with other unusual qualities show up on this run down farm and Sophie must learn to care for them and keep them safe from chicken nappers. 

The Mighty Odds by Amy Ignatow.   So this title is not all THAT unusual but the book is mighty odd. (See what I did? Hoo boy!! Let me catch my breath here.) Four kids are on a bus when it has an accident and all four kids receive "super" powers. Three of the kids are your normal run-of-the-mill slightly outcast-y kids; an artsy sort, a nerd, a social out cast. But the fourth kid is the most popular girl in school. I thought that was a nice touch.
Now those powers?? Well, one of the kids can change eye color. WHOOOOAAAAA! How awesome is that! One kid has super strength in his thumbs.  Yeah! Miss Popularity can read minds BUT only when the thinker is thinking about directions. And one lad can instantly relocate - 4 inches to the left or right, I forget which. It's the first in a trilogy. I think I better put the other two on hold, right now.

I have a dozen or so books that surface from my book brain. I'll be back with more.

No comments:

Post a Comment