Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Unforgettable! The Green Brothers

John Green is impossible for book lovers to forget.  He wrote "The Fault in Our Stars", for heaven's sake!!!

But before the amazing event that "The Fault in Our Stars" became, John was - and still is - one half of the Vlogbrothers!  The other equally AWESOME half of Vlogbrothers is the clever, lyrical, amazingly fast-talking, Hank GreenHANK WROTE A BOOK!  Must. Pre-Order. Now.

NOTE!  NOTE!  NOTE!    THIS IS NOT "LET'S NOT FORGET"!  NOTE!  NOTE!  NOTE!
Mainly because, these guys are UNFOGETTABLE!

I remember those days, back in, oh 2007 or 2008, (Vlogbrothers began their YouTube odyssey in 2007 according to this Wikipedia article), when I stumbled on the online community, Nerdfighters.  I had just read "Paper Towns" and was suitably impressed.  (Also, "An Abundance of Katherines".  I laughed so hard.) I wanted to know more.  John and Hank had moved their Vlogbrothers videos to this online group.  I was hooked and became a Nerdfighter so I, too, could "fight world suck" and DFTBA. (Don't Forget To Be Awesome).

Life sometimes intervenes.  In John Green's case life was the overwhelming success of "The Fault In Our Stars" and the movie of the same name.  The Nerdfighter online social media outlet gently went away.  (Actually, nerdfighter.ning.com is still in existence.  It's just different and not very communal.)

In my case, I got distracted.  I retired.  I became a grandmother.  My Dad got sick; then he turned 90; and then he died.  My Mom turned 90 - still here.  I got another job.  My brother came home from Japan.  (Check out what we did while he was home.  I work this in WHEREVER I can. )  Then he moved back to Japan.  And I wondered what happened to Nerdfighters.   I needed their craziness, their nerdiness and their good-ness. (I miss my brother, Dan.  I feel a Barry Manilow song - or an Elton John song - coming on.)

NERDFIGHTERS DO NOT GO AWAY!

No, World, we are still out there, doing our best to survive and remain steadfast in our pursuit of knowledge and all things Nerd!  We also volunteer, donate, create projects that fight world suck, though Project for Awesome or in other ways.  You have heard what I've been up to.  Under One Sun Benefit and Chiles' Play.  There are so many other people out there, enjoying books, helping to make a better world.

I found Hank and John Green again.  I am so happy.  They are fun to watch, fun to listen to.  I have to dig my Hank Green CD out and listen to "Accio Deathly Hallows", again.

Check out their twice weekly YouTube channel where they discuss EVERYTHING in 3 or 4 minute blasts.  John posts on Tuesday.  Hank posts on Friday.   Check the right hand sidebar; the first three and four are productions of these overactive men.

Or just head over to Nerdfighteria to catch up with all that the Green Brothers have done.

Just remember, they are human, after all.  And life, like I said, intervenes.  So if things aren't as up to the minute as you might like, browse the archives.  Or go find a Project to be Awesome with.

And read their books!  John's latest is Turtles All the Way Down.  Hank's first book, An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, comes out this year.

Thanks, Hank and John Green!




No comments:

Post a Comment