Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Poem in Your Pocket

Thursday is Poem in your Pocket Day!  Carry a favorite poem all day and share it with your friends.  How many poems can you recite from memory?

This may let you know how old I am - not that I keep it a secret - but when I was in grade school, our classes had something called "Poem Study" almost every week.  We learned old standards, like Joyce Kilmer's "Trees" - (I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree..) and didactic poems designed to teach us values.  I particularly enjoyed the poems of James Whitcomb Riley.

I cannot remember any of these poems in entirety, just snippets here and there.  And, my meory, alas, is not sharp enough to start memorizing today.  Still I have a score of favorite poems and will have to pick one to carry around on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment