Monday, April 4, 2011

April is Poetry Month

I have a lot on my mind this morning.  The state of poetry, the state of education, the state of the state budget...how do I put all these weighty concerns in one blog post?

Perhaps I should write a poem about my worries:

Feed me, the child said
But not just with bread.
I need words and birds
and love instead
Of texts and tests
that prove I'm best!
Feed me dreams!
Feed me streams
singing over shining stones;
Rockets winging through
space;
Hands brushing sand from ancient bones.
Stories and history, maps and mysteries,
Numbers that dance in elegant patterns.
Sit with me.

Feed me, the child said.
Share with me bread and time
And I will grow strong and climb and climb.
Feed me.

PS.  Ring of Solomon won the Big Kahuna Round of SLJ's Battle of the Kids' Books.  Do I know how to call them, or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment