Sunday, February 24, 2019

What We Don't Need

I went to the store today - primarily to recycle a HUGE plastic bag filled with plastic bags. But, I needed things I can't get at the discount grocer of my choice. (Aldi's, if you must know.) I wanted a scent free spot remover for my laundry. I wanted white whole wheat flour.

I came home without the scent free spot remover.

I don't need it!  Freedom!

Someone came into worship today wearing a beautiful necklace. Another person sported lovely rubber boots. I wanted the necklace AND the boots.

I don't need them! Freedom!

All winter I have worn the same three pullovers to the gym and to the library. I finger the new long sleeved tees and blouses at the store. Then I remember.

I don't need them! Freedom!

We don't need all the things we see in Sunday's paper, or on television. We don't need a car to make us feel powerful. We don't need the spinning broom to clean our floors.  (I bought one. We don't need them. Really.) Yet, we spend a lot of time making money to spend on things we don't need.

More than anything, we don't need things that make us feel inadequate. We don't need to be in a constant state of envy or desire. Look around. Unless you are homeless or nearly there, starving or very ill, you have what the things you need.

And if your heart hurts, if you are lonely, sad or angry, there is not a single thing in this world that will take that pain away. Then you must find the answer among your friends, among nature, in the hands of whatever you view as divine.

Marie Kondo talks about things that give you joy. We DO need those; a new journal, a box of sharpened colored pencils, a clever tin, a cozy throw. For some, joy will come with a new hair color - play! Or a jacket that fits just right. Or a custom car cleansing done by someone else. Or a new sautè pan.

Invite in the things YOU need, the things that give YOU Joy. Don't be seduced by ads, fashion, and what you think is required of you. Think how easy your life will be when everything that surrounds you, warms you.

Me, I need empty tea tins, my family and a Little Blue Bunny.






1 comment:

  1. I love this Karen and you are so right! Your last two sentences are the best! "Think how easy your life will be when everything that surrounds you, warms you. Me, I need empty tea tins, my family and a Little Blue Bunny."

    ReplyDelete