Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Scythe

Sometimes, I read a book because the reviews say I have to.  Those books sit a little longer on the end table.  I pick them up with a sigh.

Such was Scythe, Neal Shusterman's latest effort, and the beginning of a series?, trilogy?.  We'll see.

The subject matter is state sanctioned killing to deal with the problem of immortality.  Two young people are chosen by a sober and morally upright "scythe" to be his apprentices.  One will become a scythe - immortal, untouchable, feared and revered.  The other can return to his or her life.

Then, at a meeting of all the scythes in MidMerica, their apprenticeship is challenged because no one has ever taken two apprentices at the same time.  The challenger offers a solution.  The apprentice chosen to become a scythe must glean (kill) the one not chosen.

Yeah. You see my dilemma.  I am not all that fond of violence and murder even when "necessary".

I read it.

It is MASTERFUL.  If you want suspense, this is the book for you.  I warn you that the first third moves a little slowly.  Then - POW! -.  Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment