Thursday, October 6, 2011

Book Reviews

I have been soooo busy reading that I haven't had time to review the books!  Since Friday I have read WonderstruckStupid Fast, AND  Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.   O, I forgot!  I also read Trapped by Marc Aronson.  So let's start with that one.

I remember watching the plight of 33 Chilean copper miners in late summer/ early fall of 2010.  It was a harrowing story with a jubilant, triumphant ending.  The whole world joined together to provide experts and technology to bring those miners safely to the surface.  Aronson does an excellent job of conveying the tension of the situation.  He describes how the miners played a huge role in their own rescue by remaining calm and engaged during their captivity.  I cried as I watched the miners come out of the earth on TV last year.  I cried again as I read about their rescue.

Here's a local note.  The drill that created the column for the rescue capsule was designed and built in Pennsylvania!  Go PA!

Click here to view video of the miners, still inside the mines, from a report originally run on CNN.

No comments:

Post a Comment