Saturday, April 1, 2006

It happened again. I picked up a book, positive that I had never read it and two pages into the book I knew that I HAD read it. But what was worse was, even though I knew I had read the book before, I couldn't remember what happened in it. In my defense, it was a Diana Wynne Jones fantasy and they are quite convoluted. Still, I used to think that I could NEVER forget a plot. I'm always telling my husband the ends of movies that we rent or see on TV.
I've decided to put a positive spin on this event and tell myself that now I'll never run out of things to read because I can start reading old books over again and they will feel almost brand new.
The book was The Merlin Conspiracy by Diana Wynne Jones. It is so complicated that it needs two narrators, from two different universes, of course, and one of them travels to several universes before the story is over. Nature magic, some social commentary on male and female magic and doing wrong in the name of righteousness, an interesting look at the King of the Dead and an enormous upheaval at the end make this book a very good read for the dedicated fantasy lover.

I just read Kate DiCamillo's latest masterpiece (she wrote Because of Winn-Dixie and The Tale of Desperaux). The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane follows the adventures of a well-loved but very self-centered china rabbit I know what you're thinking, another Velveteen Rabbit or story about a toy that becomes real. Not really. The story is just too well told to be dismissed that way. And if you are at all sentimental, make sure some tissues are in reach.

And why do I blog or write? Because I want to share my thoughts on the things I read with someone and not everyone wants to listen when I talk. So I journal and I blog. And I write stories because they keep me awake at night if I don't. Immortality, shimmortality! We write because we must, darn it!

No comments:

Post a Comment