Saturday, August 21, 2021

Avoidance Part 2 - I'm TIRED

Oh, PERSONS! This excuse is is universal. I should practice the piano but...I'm TIRED.

I wake up in the morning and before my eyes are fully open, I tell myself that...I'm TIRED.

And so it goes.  Edit my poems? Too tired.  Get out the ukulele. Too exhausted.

A half-hearted swipe over the counter, a push of the broom. STILL tired.

So what do I do about all this tiredness? Sleep? Eat better? Take a walk to encourage blood flow to my "tired" body? HECK, NO!

I lie around, move like a sloth. Nothing gets done and the NEXT day I am even more tired.

Yesterday was one of my tired days. I DID get out the accordion after months of neglect.  (Whoopee!)

At 7:45 pm, I decided to sweep off the back porch. I had been (say it with me) too tired to do it earlier. The back porch looks great by the way. (A "discussion" is ongoing about the sand box. The grand is entering double digits. Does she still need a sand area? Maybe not, but I think I do.)

Suddenly, I was not so tired. And I was awake until 1 am.  But just doing that one chore, gave me...

a Lightbulb moment! I am going to be tired whether I do stuff or not. I am older and the less I DO, the harder it gets to DO anything.  Once I start moving, the fog lifts.


WHY THIS EXCUSE IS POPPYCOCK

If I am so tired that I can't function, it is time for me to consult a medical professional. I have, actually, and there is nothing physically wrong. 

I am not too tired. I am afraid - afraid that any effort to create will fall short of my expectations. So I grab whatever excuse I can come up with. At my age - and in this trying time - being "tired" is an easy quick all-purpose excuse. 

I am not tired. I am resentful. Why should I have to do whatever stupid chore needs to be done when I don't want to? And that resentment spills over into the activities that I actually enjoy. (This is actually Avoidance Part 3. Stay tuned.)

I am not tired. I am waiting. Exactly what I am waiting for has never been clear. But I will receive a sign when the waiting is done.

The answer to all these avoidance techniques is to push through. I know it. You know it. Push through. There are bouquets to build and skies to view and rain to inspire our music. So, tired or not, do ONE beautiful thing.

The world will thank you.

(I wonder if this blog post counts or if I have to do something else. Because, you know, I'm....tired.)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment