Tuesday, April 20, 2021

I forgot how to blog...

I have not blogged for 6 weeks and I don't remember how!! Do I come up with a topic and stick with it? Is that a thing? I don't think that's a thing. I think people's thoughts jump around like bunnies in Spring. And it IS Spring. So stream of consciousness and random thoughts, here goes!

I play an online game in which you need to fit a set number of tile arrangements into a big 9 x 9 tile square. Is it unreasonable for me to take a violent dislike to any column of five tiles - horizontal or vertical? I really do NOT like those five tile rows in a deeply personal way. 

Dana Simpson just came out with Book 13 of Phoebe and her Unicorn, Unicorn Famous.  What will happen when Phoebe ages out of the believing in unicorns thing? Maybe I do NOT have to worry about this, actually, since Phoebe is no more real than her fabulous friend, Marigold Heavenly Nostrils. Simpson should get an award for naming unicorns.

Why are books about orphans who live in great big old buildings so popular? (I linked to Ally Carter's first Winterborne Home book but you don't have to think hard to come up with another one.) I get the orphan part. Having no parents sets the character free of any expectations or parental protections. At the same time, it's so sad!

And why big - as in city block big - and old? OK! That doesn't take too much imagination. But, I believe that setting a foundling school in one of the growing number of abandoned malls or strip malls might be intriguing.  Those buildings have back passages that the general public never see.

Wait! That reminds me of the Hobie Hanson books by Jamie Gilson. When their school got flooded, Hobie's school moved into a series of empty stores in the mall. I loved those books but I bet they are dated now. I have to let Goodreads know that I read every one of them - as an adult - (because I am old). People who read these books as kids might even have children of their own who are graduating from secondary school soon - maybe.

Loss... When we lose an author we adored, even though that writer was really old and deserved some rest, it is HARD. Beverly Cleary was over 100. Sid Fleischman was in his 90s. But they were supposed to keep writing until my grandchild had grandchildren. It might be time for me to read Ramona and her Father again - or By the Great Horn Spoon.

I made my LAST book review presentation at the Kutztown University Children's Literature Conference on Saturday. This year, I worked with Mary Hyson, who loves to talk about books more than I do and who works with books for middle grades and YA every working day. I don't do that anymore, because - see paragraph 6.

Anyway, if you want to see our awesome slide show click here

I am all tired out from jumping all over the place. The view out my window is beautiful. I hope your view is, too.

Our tulips in the late afternoon. In the morning they are even more glorious.


 

 





1 comment:

  1. Your tulips are gorgeous! I loved all your remarks about books today! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete