Wednesday, February 7, 2018

In Tears

D told me, "It's just a book, Nana", when I mentioned that the book worried me.  It's the second book in the series and I don't like what the adventure is doing to one of the main characters.

Since he is the teenage form of a character created over 100 years ago, there is really no other direction in which he can go.  Still...

Ridley Pearson's "The Downward Spiral" left me with tears in my eyes.  The story of the Moriarty siblings, James and Moria, and James' odd roommate, Sherlock, is in no way over.  The end of this book leaves us with more questions than the book answers.  Good.  I need to read more of Moria's story.  At 12, Moria has lived through more drama, danger and desperation than most Senior Citizens - and all in one year.

In the first book, (I reviewed it rather lightly here), we suspect that the Moriarty family is involved in less than polite activities - especially when a tragedy reduces their numbers.  We see James being led down the narrow, gloom ridden secret passage to the family "business".  Read the book.

Back at Baskerville Academy, James is given "missions", more like "orders", by adults in high places.
Moria and Sherlock find a download of the family Bible and discover a portrait that could answer a lot of questions.

On Beacon Hill, the teens find a secret compartment in Moriarty the elder's desk with more cryptic Biblical quotes.  And eventually they find a secret room.

There is an attempted jewel heist; an almost tragic winter sailing outing; beatings, kidnaps and unfortunate "accidents".  At the center of it all is James.

Too proud to ask forgiveness for the mistakes he makes, too stiff-necked to make light of his frailties, James dooms himself to a future of evil doing.  OK.  I can put up with that.  He's a teenager.  How many of us learned to take ourselves less seriously when we were 14?  Also, he's predestined to be a bad guy.  Arthur Conan Doyle hath made it so.

The way adults manipulate him angers me.  By the time they are done, he has more black marks against him.  His father would never have wanted this - or would he?

See what I mean by questions?

Moria tells the story.  And the tears that rose to my eyes as I closed the book?  I cannot tell if they are for Moria and her worry about her brother or for James and his narrowing choices.


No comments:

Post a Comment