Sunday, May 15, 2011

Quilts and other things

Well, finally, I am doing some of the things I promised myself I'd do "when I have more time".  I fished out a quilt top I have had in a bin for I don't want to admit how many years.  Years (and years and years - decades, even) ago, in a library district far, far away, I engineered a quilt for the Children's Room.  I collected fabric and worked with members of the St. Paul's Lutheran Church Quilters (founded 1898) to put another quilt top together and put it in a frame.  Then children and their parents were invited to knot the quilt during a program.  I have no idea what happened to THAT quilt.  It was really lovely and I hope if it is no longer around it was loved to pieces. (I replayed this program at my most recent library posting.  The quilt is in storage here if anyone at PCL is looking for it.  Call me.)

There was a lot of fabric left over and a young mother offered to take it home and make another quilt top.  Then she had to move out of the area and delivered the top - mostly done - to me.  As luck would have it, I decided to move on to another position.  (That sounds like I had the whole move planned out.  Hahahahahaha!)  And my successor called me up and told me she had no use for the quilt top.  If I didn't want it, she was going to throw it away. So, I took it, thinking that someday when I had more time....I HAVE MORE TIME.

So I am in the process of finishing off this quilt top.  THEN, as I fished around my fabric bins I found 11 squares I made in my pre-work, quilt club days.  Only 11, each measuring 10 inches square and each containing no less than 18 separate tiny pieces of fabric.  My son picked out the pattern, called Monkey Wrench.  I promised him the quilt by the time he graduated.  Um, it's late.  Maybe by the NEXT time he graduates.  Maybe this is why he went back to school.  Oh the poor thing, he's waiting for me to finish his quilt.  Well, if I stall he might have a doctorate before it's done but is that fair?  Should I finish the quilt?

I will, by jiggy!  I have it all planned out.  I don't even need to make more Monkey Wrench squares.  I sat up last night and drew out a grid and I can do it.  I just need to find coordinating fabric and a new rotary cutter and cutting mat and some other crafty stuff...A trip to the fabric store!!! Retirement is (sigh) sooooo nice.

Life is good...a garden for the sunny days, a quilt - and books - for the rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment