Monday, May 16, 2011

I So Don't Do...

I just got my hands on I So Don't Do Famous by Barrie Summy.  Back in my "work" life, I ordered the first book in this series for the library and then...what happened?  This is a fun series!  Not Dickens or Jane Austen but, let's face it, our middle school readers don't want Dickens or Jane Austen.  They want books about kids like themselves and if the author throws in a ghost and a mystery well, so much the better.

In her fourth outing, heroine Sherry has just won a trip to Hollywood (squeal) and a chance to meet the love advice columnist from Hollywood Girl magazine.  (Bigger squeal).  She won with her essay on true love, which she knows all about since she and Josh have been dating for months.  But guess what?  He doesn't want to go.  Not only THAT, he (gulp)....well, read the book and find out what Sherry finds out from texts from friends at home.

Sherry, her very best friend, Junie and Sherry's Dad go to Hollywood and there, Sherry is embroiled in a mystery.  Thank goodness her Mom, who was a police detective in life and is now a ghost detective, helps Sherry, Junie and a young teen ghost, Lorraine, in their sleuthing.  As paranormal fiction goes, this is Paranormal Lite.  And that is all right with me.  I like friendly ghosts who have romantic fixations.  I like mysteries that are free of gore.  I like simple young teen romantic crises.  Here's a series to add to my list of recommended reads.  Now, I have to catch up on Sherry's other adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment