Monday, March 29, 2010

Books and Videos

I have spent the last couple of weeks re-discovering how very much I love reading.  I read a lot, anyway.  But SLJ's Battle of the Kids' Books gave me the push to read outside my comfort zone.  New authors, new genres, new subjects.  I mean, how often have I thought to myself, "I need to read a book about a frog scientist and then I just have to learn more about the first all-female swing band."?  Never.  But now I have read a book about a frog scientist and I have learned something about America's first all-woman (black women for the most part) swing band.  I have read a book about the Darwins and their differences of faith and I have read graphic novels and short stories.  None of these are books I usually choose.  And because these books are all so different, I have learned - again - the joy of reading.

On a similar note,I've noticed that publishers are using YouTube more and more to sell books.  It was a video that got me to read The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.  The book was good, very good, but the video was excellent.  I just saw a video about a spiritual guide called hand wash cold by Karen Maezen Miller.  Now I want to read the book.  The images the videographer chose, based on the author's written images,are so lovely, so reminiscent of a gentler time.  Hearing the words gave me a fuller sense of the author.  The book is out in April.  I look forward to reading it.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to you reading it too. Please let me know if it matches your expectation.

    ReplyDelete