Monday, June 19, 2006

M.T. Anderson must have watched "The Sound of Music" one too many times. Read "The Clue of the Linoleum Lederhosen", the second book in his M. T. Anderson's Amazing Adventures, and I think you'll agree. Normal preteen, Lily Gefelty, and her friends, Katie Mulligan - star of the Horror Hollow book series - and Jasper Dash, Technonaut - star of the Jasper Dash series , go off to the Moose Tongue Lodge for a quiet summer vacation. Are they ever surprised to find out that other stars of kids' series are also at the Moose Tongue Lodge!! Stars like the Manley Brothers, sons of ace detective Jake Manley, and the Cutesy Dell Twins, and Eddie Wax, who starred in only one book with his wonder horse. When the Hooter Quints are kidnapped before they get to the lodge, all heck breaks loose.
Frankly, I liked "Whales on stilts" better - that's the first book in the series. But I think that Anderson's endings are so well written they make any confusion in the rest of the book worth it.
I haven't had a lot of time for reading lately. Summer Reading Club just started. I'm planning a major family reunion thingie. I was teaching Sunday School. And I'm writing for a local weekly paper occasionally PLUS the local storytelling festival - with which I am involved - is next weekend. Phew! I'm ready for a vacation.
I've been asked for booklists for good books. I am the world's worst booklist writer BECAUSE as soon as I finish a booklist another great book comes out and I think I have to wait until I've read it to finish the booklist. I guess I have to get over THAT.
So here are some sites that you can go to to find booklists for teens: http://www.pcl.lib.wa.us/guysread/TOC_GuysRead.htm This is not just for teens but it is for guys.
The American Library Association puts out a whole bunch of booklists for teens. Go to www.ala.org/ala/yalsa/yalsa.htm and click on the link in the left hand column. They tend to suggest edgy problem novels but they also suggest some really fun titles as well.
Also check with your high school for lists of books that you're going to have to read. Believe it or not, those books are very good, although some of them may be challenging.
I have to go. Some kids are here to record the books they read for Summer Reading Club. Tah for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment