Thursday, February 29, 2024

Latest Book Obsession

 Jane Austen meant nothing to me until Freshmen year of college.  Our Intro to the Novel instructor, an very tall man named Clarence something, led us through Emma.

He pointed out Austen's gift for describing the ridiculous in her time period's fashions and mores, and her ability to lead her main characters to better choices and happier endings. I went on to read more Jane on my own. Thank you, Clarence.

So when I saw a book on my library's Staff Picks display titled Jane and the Last Mystery; a Jane Austen mystery, I gave it a chance.

It was the LAST book in a multi-book series and the first book of my latest book obsession.

Jane makes a great fictional character. The footnotes and end pages show the research that Stephanie Barron, the series' author, has done into Austen's life. Many of the settings were visited by Austen. A lot of the characters did actually live at the same time as Austen. Barron is true to the Austen family, Jane's mother and father, her sister, Cassandra, and the five healthy Austen brothers; James, Edward, Henry, Charles and Frank.

I love the attention to detail in fashions and behaviors. Barron's version of Jane Austen manages to straddle all social strata and gender expectations. 

I know more about Napoleon, and England's efforts to stop the "Monster" from invading the British Isles, than I ever wanted to. Political intrigue allows Jane to do a little spying and meet dashing characters.

So, yes, I thoroughly enjoy this series. I wish that Jane could continue but Barron ended her series in a respectful manner. 

Give Jane Austen mysteries a try.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment