Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Words to Avoid when Reviewing Books (A through L)



Amazing - stop using this word - ever.

Awesome - see above.  I use this word to excess.

Addictive  - like addiction is a good thing?

B

Beautiful - that's like calling a book a "book".

Breathtaking - I will keep my breath, thank you.

C

Creative

Captivating

Clever - this one is ok, sometimes, I guess.

D

Delicious - oh, stop it.

Daring

Devastating - honestly?  Isn't life hard enough already?

Delightful - see "Delicious" above.


E

Engaging

Enlightening

Excellent

Educational - gag!!

F

Fabulous

Fantastic

G

Great

Gorgeous - yes, I have seen this word used about a book.



Hilarious


Intriguing 

Interesting - YUCK!.(I use it way too often.)

Illuminating 

Imaginative - well, I HOPE so

J
I pass on J's. If you find a good J adjective, use it. (Jaunty? jazzy? jolly? I'm out of suggestions.)


There are not a lot of K adjectives out there. Knowledgeable should refer to the author, so that one is fine. Avoid Keen. 'Nuff said.

L
LUMINOUS!  I loved it at one time and then it was everywhere. And what does it mean when referred to a book? That you can read it in the dark?
 
Lovely

Luscious - books are not peaches!

Literary - Please enlighten me, someone.


That's all I have.  M through Z will arrive at a later date.  





No comments:

Post a Comment