Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Let's Not Forget Russell Freedman 1929-2018

Immigrant Kids was my introduction to the work of Russell Freedman.  I had never read a non-fiction book that gathered archival photos and decoded the personal stories of children who came to the US from other countries.  And who could possibly resist that adorable round teary-eyed girl on the cover - and her stoic protective brother?

After that, I turned to Freedman whenever I needed to purchase a book about a particular era in American - or sometimes World - history.  His writing was precise.  His research was exhaustive.  His insight was measured.  I trusted him.

Publisher's Weekly's obituary tells us that his first published work was about teenagers, Teenagers Who Made History, published by Holiday House in 1961.

Freedman wrote about things that I am interested in; children and teens through various periods of history, cowboys, famous people.  How he always picked someone who piqued MY interest I will never know.  He wrote about American history, Native Peoples, Civil Rights, inventors.  He started his career with a series about animal behavior.

The man was a Renaissance writer.  I often led adults to his books on specific time periods because the writing is accessible but NOT simplified.

Freedman won a Newbery Award for his biography of Abraham Lincoln; Lincoln: a Photobiography.

You know what?  I have to stop writing now.  With over 60 non-fiction books - all written for young readers - to his credit, I should be content to let Russell Freedman rest in peace.  I am.  I am also very sad.

I won't forget him, Russell Freedman.

No comments:

Post a Comment