Tuesday, January 1, 2013

So, This is the New Year...

I hope you had fun.  (Apologies to JL.)  This is the time when we make grand promises for the New Year, such as:
I WILL lose weight.  (We forget about the "Gain it Back" part.)
I will review a book every single day and two on holidays. (hahahahahaha)
I will get organized... OR
I will learn to "let go". There are so many ways to interpret THAT resolution.

So, here are my resolutions.
I will quit groups that don't work for me.
I will pare down my FB friends to people I actually know and with whom I share fond memories.
I will read.
I will write.
I will review books.
I will make things.



I recently read Renegade Magic by Stephanie Burgis, the follow-up to Kat, Incorrigible.  I so adored Kat, Incorrigible.  It was one of my top five books of 2011.  And Renegade Magic does not disappoint. 

The trouble begins at Kat's oldest sister's wedding.  An enraged woman demands that the wedding be stopped because her son was enchanted!!!  Oh, no!  But her son is not getting married to Elissa.  He is merely standing up for the groom.  He is very much in love with Kat's middle sister, Angeline.  To whom he IS engaged.  But he can't be any more unless he wants to forfeit all his money until the ripe old age of 30.  And soooooo.....

Kat's stepmama has a plan to find a suitable fiance for her magically endowed step-daughter.  She will take the family to Bath where all the most eligible bachelors hang out.

Throw in the wild and magical qualities of the waters at Bath, and Kat's sudden loss of Magical Power due to the evil machinations of some of the Guardians in charge of said power.  (Read the first book.  This part IS a little confusing without the background.  But persevere.  All will out.)  Oh, and Kat's hapless brother Charles who has never met a bet he wouldn't take.  And Papa's penchant for staying out of the picture and never seeming to notice.  AND Angeline's headstrong character.

 Yep, add it all together and you have a Regency Fantasy Quasi-Romance for middle schoolers that will get them all ready - and even eager - for Jane Austen.  Kat is awesome.  I can't wait for Book 3!

BUT!  We can all read the first three chapters of Book 3 on Stephanie Burgis' website.  And Burgis has posted a FREE Kat short story.  Check it out. 

2013 is looking brighter every minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment