Saturday, February 19, 2011

Story Cabaret

Here's an idea.  Gather with people in a cafe atmosphere and listen to well-told stories - adventures, stories of change and transformation, stories about the silly things that people do - grown people, people who should know better, too.  Story Cabaret is a cross between stand-up comedy and one person shows.  And here's the best part.  The audience gets a chance to share, too.  So join the Lehigh Valley Storytelling Guild and Touchstone Theatre in the first Story Cabaret - Friday, Feb. 25th at 8 pm.  Bring Your Own Story And Wine!  Cost is $10 per person.

Well, I am leaving my day job - the one people have told me not to quit - on Saturday, Feb. 26th.  I host the Dr. Seuss Birthday Party at 2 pm - at the South Whitehall Township Building, next to the Parkland Community Library.  This will be my last appearance as the Youth Services Librarian at that library after 22 and 1/4 years.  I will miss the kids and the parents, my fellow workers and the books.  But here is a list of things I will not miss:

Waiting for the bathroom.  Really, ONE ladies' room for the entire library, public AND staff??!!

Stinkbugs in the ceiling lights - and everywhere else.

Air conditioning that doesn't work in the summer and heating that doesn't work in the winter.

Moving books ON to the overflow cart and then moving them OFF the overflow cart.

Moving furniture and then moving it back.

NO ROOM for ANYTHING!!

Being only ten feet away from the snack table.  I have no will power.

Sharing an office with every program and every group that meets in the library.  ALTHOUGH sometimes this is fun.  Go Knitters!

Planning Summer Reading Club!  Let someone else do it this year - and next - and the year after that, too....

Being "in charge"!  It was fun most of the time and I had help being "in charge", but I was the one who had the responsibility.  Time to give that up! 

Squeezing past the Reference Librarian's desk in the workroom and squeezing past the ILL staff person's work station and storing YS stuff in three different places.

Long blue curtains - although if I was more organized we might not need them to hide things behind.

Trying to be organized.  I am NOT good at this at all.  Thank heavens for my assistant, who is.


Getting up five days a week and driving on 22 - and then driving back (sigh).

If I start listing the individuals and things that I will miss - beyond the ones I've mentioned - I might rue my decision to retire.  So I won't.

See you at the Story Cabaret, I hope.  Or at the Dr. Seuss Birthday Party.  Or back here.

No comments:

Post a Comment