Thursday, April 9, 2009

YTBN

YTBN is officially mine. So, of course, she has decided to balk. Two of her reeds have become uncooperative and she has to go back to the accordion fixer at the Accordion Gallery . I talked with Guenadiy Lazarov, the owner of the Accordion Gallery and YTBN's former owner, and he's sure it is a minor adjustment.

But YTBN - and someday I will know her name - is so versatile, all I have to do is combine sets of reeds or switch sets of reeds and I can play.

If I could remember where I put my camera I would post a photo here. Soon.

I have been reading - a lot. I finished the latest Jacqueling Winspear, Among the Mad. It was about terrorism among the discarded WWI veterans in England. Maisie Dobbs is a thoughtful protagonist. I love the setting of London and its surroundings in the 1920s.

I finished a great teen fantasy by an author named Stiefvater, Maggie Stiefvater. The title is Lament : the faerie queen's deception. Right there - fairy spelled f-a-e-r-i-e - that's a draw from the getgo. But the REAL hook is Luke Dillon, the dangerous, non-human immortal incredibly hot guy who woos the heroine Deirdre Monaghan, best known for her celtic harp playing and her tendency to hurl right before she plays in public.

Luke may not be Edward Cullen but they are close cousins. Luke's past is way worse than Edward's and he reforms just for Deirdre. Some juicy kissing goes on. Some clever manipulation of the "rules" of magic. Some negotiations among the various magical peoples. But Stiefvater leaves enough questions unanswered to open the way for a sequel. For instance, how did Deirdre's aunt end up with her sister's talent in singing? Hmmm???? And is Deirdre's aunt a danger to Deirdre since she has already made a bargain with the sidhe? The back cover announces a second book due out in the August, Shiver, but it has nothing to do with Deirdre and Luke - or Deirdre's best friend, James who is a hunky bagpiper. NO! Ms. Stiefvater, I protest. I want to know more about Deirdre, and her magical and non-magical friends.

What else? The New Policeman by Kate Thompson has been on my mind for a few weeks, since I read it.. More magic, more celtic music but no accordions, alas. Lots of Irish mythology, though, since the story is set in modern day Ireland and the mythical land of Tir Na Nog. J.J. is a teen whose family is known for its musical ability. But lately, no one has time for the arts. His father, a renowned poet, has not written anything in months. Just getting the hay in and running the farm is taking every second of his days. When J. J.'s mother asks for more time as a birthday present, J. J. decides to find out where all the time is going. The new policeman shows up - or not - in a random way that makes it pretty obvious that he's not a normal gardai. Every chapter begins with a piece of fiddle music. This is a lovely piece of fantasy.

I have off tomorrow. I will get my hair cut. I will dip peanut butter eggs in dark chocolate. I will listen to Jesus Christ Superstar. Good night.

1 comment:

  1. *grin* I'm glad you liked LAMENT! And never fear, I have two books coming out this fall -- SHIVER is a new series that comes out August 1, but BALLAD, which is the continuation of James' story, comes out October 1st.

    ReplyDelete