Saturday, March 17, 2007

I want a channel on television devoted to helping people and encouraging universal values - or examining values - like honesty, kindness, generosity, hard work, creativity, thrift.
Every channel I enjoy watching - HGTV, Food Network, TLC, even Discovery - emphasizes what people HAVE, rather than what they do or are.

I'm tired of watching shows that make me unhappy with what I have. On my new channel - which could never succeed because it could never attract enough advertisers - shows would explain how to make the most of what people have. Stories about people who volunteer, give to charity, recycle, use alternative energy sources, mentor students, fight for affordable health care, work towards world peace - that's what I want on this new channel.

Although the channel may feature Christian families, Jewish families, Muslim, Buddhist, Baha'i, atheist, Hindi families and activists, this channel will not underwrite any one religion. No televangelists will offer to pray for donors' souls. No one will try to convince anyone else that one way is the only way.

It's a nice dream. Now, that I've written it down, what can I do to make it happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment