Sunday, October 9, 2016

Life Saving Libraries

My first "real" job was working as a shelver (page) at the Bethlehem Area Public Library.  I was almost 16.  I worked in the Children's room.

It is 50 years later.  I have worked in public libraries (and an academic library and a high school library but those were substitute positions) for 30+ years- and counting.  I have always worked in Children's Departments.  That's where I belong.

This video speaks to the importance of libraries - the importance of reading - the importance of books and most of all, the importance of making access to all three available to everyone.

 

Libraries save lives.  Gary Paulsen credits a public library for his education.  Thomas Edison read his way through his public library after he left school.

Thanks to Brain Pickings for sharing this story.


No comments:

Post a Comment